The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) has announced the winners of its annual Excellence Awards Program to recognise outstanding solid waste programs and facilities.
SWANA explained that the winners have demonstrated the highest practices through their commitment to using effective technologies and processes in system design and operations, advancing worker and community health and safety, and implementing successful public education and outreach programs.
Programs also must exhibit that they are fiscally and environmentally responsible through their compliance with all applicable federal, state and local regulations.
This year’s awards honour programs and facilities in 13 different categories spanning many facets of the municipal solid waste industry. Award winners represent the most innovative and dynamic organisations throughout North America as judged by their peers, and SWANA is proud to recognise their accomplishments.
“The recipients of the SWANA Excellence Awards represent the best solid waste management practices in North America today,” said David Biderman, SWANA Executive Director and CEO. “Community leaders should be very proud of the valuable contributions that these projects provide to their citizens.”
The winners will be acknowledged and awarded at the annual WASTECON® conference in Baltimore, Maryland, on Tuesday, September 26, 2017.
2017 Excellence Award winners by category:
Gold – Tie
- Western Placer Waste Management Authority, California One Big Bin” campaig
- Pitkin County Solid Waste Center, Colorado “Talkin’ Trash” campaign
- City of North Port Solid Waste Division, Florida, Creative Awareness Campaigns
- RecycleSmart - Central Contra Costa Solid Waste Authority, California
- Waste Management Youth Education
- OC Waste & Recycling Landfill Tour Program
Communication, Education and Marketing Tools
- City of Greenville Solid Waste Division-Recycling, South Carolina
Innovation in Communication, Education and Marketing
- City of Charlotte, North Carolina, Healthy Communities Education Program
- City of Baltimore Citywide Municipal Trash Can Program, Maryland
- Valley Vista Services Pomona Valley, California
Landfill Gas & Biogas
- OC Waste and Recycling Bowerman Power Project, California
- City of Toronto, Ontario, Green Lane Landfill
- Niagara Region, Ontario, Landfill End Use Site Development
- City of Los Angeles, California, Lopez Canyon Environmental Center
Integrated Solid Waste Management System
- City of Toronto, Ontario, Long Term Solid Waste Management Strategy
- County of Santa Barbara, California, Resource Recovery & Waste Management Division
- GreenWaste Recovery, California, Materials Recovery Facility
- Emerald Coast Utilities Authority Materials Recycling Facility, Florida
- Niagara Region, Ontario, Recycling Centre Improvements
Special Waste Management
- Niagara Region, Ontario, Household Hazardous Waste Depots
Bronze – Tie
- Lorain County, Ohio, Collection Center
- Sussex County Municipal Utilities Authority, New Jersey, EPS Recycling Program
Gold – Tie
- Navy Whidbey Recycle In-vessel Composting System, Washington
- Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency Compost Operations, New York
- Republic Services Pacific Region Compost (PRC) Facility, Oregon
- Solid Waste Authority of Palm Beach Florida, Palm Beach, Renewable Energy Facility #2
Find out more about SWANA’s 2017 Excellence Award winners, HERE
SWANA Backs the International Solid Waste Association's Scholarship Programme
SWANA has backed ISWA's Scholarship Programme, which funds education for children living and working on open dumpsites in Nicaragua.
SWANA Joins ISWA’s Call to Close the World’s Biggest Dumpsites
In partnership with ISWA, the Solid Waste Association of North America has urged supporters to sign the declaration to close the world’s 50 largest dumpsites.
Five to Stay Alive: Latest Safety Materials for Recycling Facility Workers from SWANA
SWANA has developed a new instalment to its ‘Five to Stay Alive’ series that features safety tips for Material Recycling Facility employees.