Griffith, Indiana based Cambridge Companies, which designs and builds waste and treatment and recycling facilities, has been named the winner of the SWANA Bronze Excellence Award in the Transfer Station category.
The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) Excellence Awards Program recognises outstanding solid waste programs, as well as facilities that advance the practice of environmentally and economically sound solid waste management.
Cambridge was honoured for its work on Republic Services’ City of Cape Girardeau Corporate Circle Solid Waste Transfer Station in Missouri.
“The City of Cape Girardeau Corporate Circle Solid Waste Transfer Station (SWTS) is a very unique project,” commented. Jeffrey Eriks, chief business development officer for Cambridge Companies.
“Although challenged at many points, The City, Republic Services and Cambridge Companies used creativity, cooperation, and commitment to complete a stellar design/build project,” he added.
In the Transfer Station the entries were judged on six key parameters:
- History of the Transfer Station, including how the facility integrated into the community, its planning and commination strategy and the challenges and solutions in its development.
- Design and Construction: Key elements of your transfer station design, including its appearance, Equipment, innovation and operation.
- Environmental Controls and Regulatory Compliance: Design features and controls to ensure that the transfer station minimises or mitigates environmental impact, as well as its overall impact on human health, environmental quality and resource conservation.
- Performance, Economics and Cost Effectiveness: Methods do you use to analyse how well the transfer station is performing, and what results are being obtained, as well as cost effectiveness and maintenance regime and contingency planning for natural disasters etc.
- Worker and Customer Health and Safety: How safety issues have been addressed in planning and design, as well as operational practices and training.
- Public Acceptance, Appearance and Aesthetics: How the project addressed concerns of the community and how it responded to them including community outreach and customer service.
Republic Services (NYSE: RSG) itself also secured a Gold Excellence Award in the Recycling Systems category for its Southern Nevada Recycling Center, which Cambridge also partnered on.
The awards will be presented at SWANA's annual conference, WASTECON®, on Tuesday, August 23, 2016, in Indianapolis, Ind.
Behind the Screens at Republic’s Huge New Las Vegas Recycling Facility
San Diego, California based recycling equipment manufacturer, CP Group, explains the technology behind Republic Services’ huge new material recycling facility in Las Vegas.
FEATURE: VEGAS - Raising the Stakes for Single Stream Recycling
When it comes to hotels, entertainment and gambling, in Las Vegas there are no half measures - they like to go large. And it turns out that philosophy holds true for recycling facilities too, with Republic Services recently starting work on a huge new MRF, thought to be the one of the largest single stream facilities in the world.
Republic Opens Massive Las Vegas Recycling Facility
Republic Services has officially opened one of the largest Material Recycling Facilities in the US in the City of North Las Vegas, with a capacity to handle some 70 tons of mixed recyclables per hour.